Internship Supervisor Evaluation Letter
At the end of the semester, the internship supervisor completes a survey or may write a letter of evaluation that helps the student understand their performance during the internship, their strengths, and areas for improvement.
- The intern appreciates (and needs) detailed feedback about their performance from their internship site. The Communication Department also needs to know that the intern completed at least the minimum required hours.
- The supervisor does not assign the course grade but plays an important role in helping the student understand their strengths and areas for improvement.
- We strongly encourage you to provide the intern with a copy of the letter so that they receive feedback on their performance from you in writing.
- Should the situation warrant, the internship supervisor should make clear to the Dept. of Communication Internship Coordinator what aspects of their comments can and cannot be shared with the intern.
We would also like any comments on what to continue and what to improve about the internship program.
A link to the survey is emailed to supervisor at the end of the semester with a due date for completion. If the supervisor chooses to write a letter of evaluation, here are guidelines:
Letter of evaluation guidelines
The letter of evaluation should address the following questions:
- How many total hours did the intern contribute to the company or organization?
- What are the strengths of the student’s performance in the internship?
- What are the weaknesses of the student’s performance in the internship?
- What specific contributions did the student make to the work environment?
- What suggestions do you have for the student about their future employment?
- What projections do you make about the student’s career?
- As an internship supervisor, what comments do you have about participating in the Internship experience?
- As an internship supervisor, what suggestions do you have for working together with the Rutgers’ Department of Communication to make the Internship experience valuable for all involved?
The internship coordinator must be able to verify the authenticity of the letter.
- Please prepare the evaluation letter on letter head and in PDF format.
- All letters need to include your signature.
- Email the letter (in PDF Format) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more assistance please contact:
Mark Aakhus, PhD
Department of Communication
School of Communication & Information
4 Huntington St.
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1071