Choosing an Internship Site: Research the Organization/Company First
When researching and interviewing with a company or organization consider the following:
How long has the company or organization been in business?
- If the organization or company has just been created, is the organizational structure settled so you will have an opportunity to learn or will you be witnessing the “growing pains” of a new organization?
How much of the company or organization will you be able to experience?
- Will you see how all departments work together? Rotate through departments? Or will you have a focused experience in one section of the company/organization?
Have they had interns at this company or organization before?
- Is there an organized, proven internship program or is this their first experience with managing a student intern?Will you have a cohort of interns to learn with or will you be the only intern in the company/organization?
Will you be assigned duties that will build on the theory and concepts you have studied in your major?
- Will any training be offered as you begin your internship?
- Will you be given specific tasks vital to the organization and the field you wish to learn?
- Will you have regular duties that will be evaluated so you can build competencies?
- Will you interact with other departments or with clients directly?
- Are there technical skills/applications that you could practice before you begin?
Will the supervisor be able to mentor your growth and offer you learning opportunities?
- Is your supervisor always on site while you are working or, if not, will you always have a contact in the organization to answer any questions that might arise?
- How many interns has your supervisor worked with in the past?
- What advice can your supervisor offer, before you begin, to help you ensure success?
- How often will you be given feedback on your work products?
Has your supervisor read through this website and does he/she understand the commitment the company/organization is making to you and the Department of Communication?